Tourist Police was established in 1979 under the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation. The special unit has been designated the task of providing security to visitors. The team of Tourist Police consists of officers who can speak and understand English and Hindi. They register complaints, investigate matters, provide protection and safety to tourists. They also try to ensure hassle-free trip for visitors and assist tourists when necessary. There are three units of Tourist Police forces in Kathmandu. While the main office is at the Tourist Service Center in Bhrikuti Mandap(Phone: 4247041, 4247037), the other one at Basantapur(Phone: 4268969).
1.Inform your whereabouts immediately upon arrival to the local police or concerned embassy or consulate.
2. Use the services of government registered travel and trekking agencies only.
3. Stay only at government registered hotels, resorts, guest houses and lodges.
4. Use only those porters who are authorized by your travel agency or hotel.
5. Exchange foreign currency only at authorized places.
6. Carry certified copies of documents and leave the originals and other valuables in the safe deposit box of your hotel.
7. Never leave these items unattended in your room.
8. Do not carry large sums of cash.
9. Never leave your luggage and other valuables unattended at any time, any place.
10. In case of theft or loss contact the nearest police station immediately.
11. Carry travelers’ cheques and limited amount of cash while on tour.